Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Off to Grandmother's house we go

Over the weekend I spent some time at my grandmother's house visiting with her and my father and his girlfriend. Much of the time spent there was helping her clean out the garage and organize my late grandfather's tools. And from this, I learned that I've got the absolute coolest grandmother on earth.

I opened up a large cabinet, about 3 feet wide, a couple feet deep and about 7 feet tall, filled wall to wall with various liquors. Now don't get me wrong, my grandmother is not a lush by any means, and most of what was in there is probably no good anyway (most bottles were horribly covered in dust) and I rarely see her drink any alcohol save for a glass of wine with dinner, but I noticed a neat pirate ship shaped decanter marked "Homemade Kahlua" and gave my grandmother a sideways glance. "Oh, I know a few recipies," she said grinning, and then I noticed the bottle that had been behind the kahlua.... A plain clear bottle marked in my grandmother's handwriting "Moonshine / White Lightning" and sure enough, upon opening it up to smell it, it was the real stuff. I wonder if I could persuade her to make me a bottle of it, heehee.

Oh, and I got to snag a few interesting antiques, including this old Dodgers bobble-head from who knows what era. After my father and I shamed my grandfather privately for having a Dodgers bobble-head and not a SF Giants version, we decided I'd give it the best home being the biggest baseball fan in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment